Follow BAFC 

Bishop Auckland FC

Bishop Auckland v Newcastle Benfield



EBAC Northern League Division One

Saturday 12th August 2017

Bishop Auckland 3-7 Newcastle Benfield

Team: Robinson, Jury, Hoganson, Lovegreen, Hall (Adams 66 minutes), Griffiths, Williamson, Bennett, McAloon, Goundry, Fairley

Subs Unused: Ward, Wigley, Blakey, Dawson

Goalscorers: Bennett, Griffiths, McAloon

Attendance: 225

Darlington Building Society Man of the Match: Michael Hoganson

The Two Blues entered their first league game of the 2017-18 season against Newcastle Benfield manager-less after parting company with Steve Riley in the week. In came 3 players which sat out the FA Cup defeat to Consett, in to the team came Lovegreen, Williamson and McAloon.

Bishop started brightly in an evenly contested affair and were ahead after 6 minutes when good work by James Fairley set-up Andre Bennett to fire the ball home from 15 yards out. 

However, their lead only lasted a minute when a big punt in to the Bishop area was scrambled over the line by Benfield’s Doninger to make the score line 1-1 in the 7th minute.

It was only 4 minutes later when Bishop found themselves 2-1 down a quick break enabled John Campbell to score his first goal of the afternoon.

Bishop drew level with a quick response when in the 18th minute a cross come shot from Hoganson was saved but Thomas McAloon was on hand to prod the ball home for his first goal of the season.

A minute later McAloon was brought down in the box by Grainger in the Benfield goal to win Bishop a penalty, Priestley Griffiths fired home to the keepers left to put Bishop 3-2 ahead.

On 39 minutes Benfield drew level, when a corner rebounded to the far post and Benfield’s Richard Slaughter put them back level at 3-3.

Blink and you would had missed it, as some did when a minute later John Campbell scored his second of the afternoon to put Benfield back ahead 4-3.

In the closing minutes of the half John Jury picked up a booking but that was the only event of note in this crazy first 45 minutes.

HT – Bishop Auckland 3 – 4 Newcastle Benfield

The consensus amongst fans at half time was that they would be more goals to come in the game, unfortunately they all went in Benfield’s favour.

John Campbell completed his hat trick in the 52nd minute to put Benfield in a commanding 5-3 lead.

Debutant Ashley Adams a product of the St Mary’s academy replaced Hall on 66 minutes, Benfield’s Doninger added his second of the afternoon on 80 minutes to make the score 6-3 in Benfield’s favour. 

Lewis Scorgie then complete the rout for Benfield and piled more misery on the home crowd when he added a 7th in the 87th minute.

A game full of goals proved entertaining for the neutral, but a score line the Bishop fans will not want to see again this season. Credit goes to the team for their first half performance and commitment after what had been a difficult week for all associated with the club.

The Blues will hope to bounce back against Ashington at home this coming Wednesday evening.

FT – Bishop Auckland 3 – 7 Newcastle Benfield


Date Time League Season
Sat 12/08/2017 3:00 pm NL1 2017 - 2018


Heritage Park
A688, St Helen Auckland, Bishop Auckland DL14 9AE, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Bishop Auckland303Loss
Newcastle Benfield437Win

Bishop Auckland

# Player Position Goals Assists Yellow Cards Red Cards
1Carl RobinsonGoalkeeper0000
2John JuryMidfielder0010
3Michael HogansonDefender0100
4Matthew LovegreenDefender0000
5Daryl HallDefender0000
6Priestly GriffithsMidfielder1000
7Ryu WilliamsonForward0000
8Andre BennettMidfielder1000
9Thomas McAloonForward1000
10Alex GoundryMidfielder0000
13Ian WardForward0000
14Charlie WigleyMidfielder0000
15Ashley AdamsDefender0000
16Regan BlakeyForward0000
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

Bishop Auckland FC Badge KO FT