Follow BAFC 

Bishop Auckland FC

West Auckland Town v Bishop Auckland



West Auckland took the spoils in the first local derby game of the week when they beat Bishop 3-2 in the 2nd Round of the Durham Challenge Cup and go on to play the winners of the Easington v Spennymoor Town clash.

Not having played a game since November 28th when Bishops played Newcastle Benfield at Heritage Park, Head Coach Nathan Haslam standing in for manager Steve Riley on the night made a number of changes through both player unavailability and taking into account the second game in three days being the League game scheduled for Friday night at Heritage Park.

Mark Bell, Ross Colquhoun, Graham Irving, Thomas Bott, Sean Tarling and Priestley Griffiths were all absent with new signing Sam Orritt made his debut in midfield alongside Ursene Mouanda recently picked for the England Schoolboys Under 18 squad.

Within 5 minutes West went close twice, first when the ball fell loose on the 6 yards line and Adam Burnicle’s shot was well-saved by Rhys Jobling. Then another chance fell to West but Jobling came speedily off his line and did enough to put the West forward off and the ball was cleared by the Bishop defence.

West looked like their tactic was to send high balls into the Bishop box and on 15 mins a free kick was headed onto the post with the Bishop defence static but play was stopped due to an infringement.  On 22 mins another long high ball from West dipped right under the bar and keeper Jobling did well to palm it down where it fell to Chris Emms who fired the ball goalwards only for Arjun Purewal to clear it off the line.

Andrew Johnson was looking fit and fast leading the Bishop line and on 23 mins he led a breakaway with Sam Orritt but it came to nothing when a West defender put in a good tackle.

With the referee adding 1 minute additional time (but in actual fact playing another 2 minutes on that) West took a deserved lead when the ball was crossed and Hulme had the easy task of tapping the ball in with the Bishops defence ‘flat footed’.

Bishop started the second half lively and were rewarded on 50 minutes when Andrew Johnson equalised only for West to immediately hit back when Arjun Purewal gifted the ball to Hulme who hit the ball past Jobling for West to regain the lead.

Looking the better side, having more possession, Bishops equalised when Scott McCarthy played a superb through ball to Andrew Johnson who skilfully turned the defender and held his nerve putting the ball past the approaching goal keeper drilling the ball into the net. 2-2.

Fred Woodhouse came on as sub for his first game since being injured in the away game at West Allotment and on 85 minutes the ball fell to him just outside the box but his powerful shot went just wide and a minute later another good shot going goalwards hit a defender only to go wide.

Bishops continue to press the West Auckland goal in an effort to win the match but got caught at the back and in a West counter-attack a long pass across the goal found Scott Oldfield who fired a tremendous volley to put his home-town club out of the Durham Challenge Cup.

Bishop: Jobling, Thompson, Smith, Zambra, Purewall, Mouanda, Orritt, Jury, Johnson, McCarthy, Nicholls,

Subs: Ward, Mitchell, Woodhouse


Date Time League Season
Tue 19/01/2016 7:30 pm DCC 2015 - 2016


Wanted Stadium
53 Darlington Rd, West Auckland, Bishop Auckland, County Durham DL14 9HT, UK


Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
West Auckland Town233Win
Bishop Auckland122Loss
Yellow Cards
Red Cards