Follow BAFC 

Bishop Auckland FC

Neighbours West dismiss Two Blues from Vase after tight encounter

Neighbours West dismiss Two Blues from Vase after tight encounter

(Images courtesy of Joseph Gorman)

A hard-fought performance from the Two Blues proved insufficient on Saturday afternoon as neighbours West Auckland progressed to the FA Vase Third Round courtesy of a late, extra-time penalty after the game had finished goalless on ninety minutes.

West’s David Dowson despatched the decisive goal, from the spot, in the closing minutes of extra-time after both sides had battle for near 120 minutes without finding the breakthrough.

Both sides had chances throughout, the hosts’ best falling to Kyle Fryatt, with a number of efforts without joy, and James Fairley whilst the visitors saw Amar Purewal, Rees Greenwood and Liam Hegarty run close, the former having an effort disallowed, the latter rattling the bar at the death.

The Two Blues replaced workhorse Chris Winn in extra-time, he putting a usual, top class performance in Bishops colours  whilst West saw an earlier penalty call in extra-time waved away, Purewal receiving a booking for his efforts minutes before the decisive moment arrived.

Elsewhere in the Vase four other Northern league sides progressed to the next round, two at the expense of league rivals as Hebburn Town saw off visitors Sunderland RCA 3-0, and Newcastle Benfield defeated Guisborough Town 4-0, they were joined by Consett and Stockton Town.

RCA saw goalkeeper Robert Dean dismissed late in the first half as they feel from the competition away to Hebburn Town however they made their hosts wait until the final fifteen minutes before the breakthrough arrived; Robbie Spence would open the scoring on 75 minutes then in the final ten minutes, efforts from Michael Richardson and Graeme Armstrong wrapped up progression.

Consett went through on the back of an impressive 5-2 win at Irlam, Ali Alshabeeb and Luke Carr affording a four-goal interval lead with a brace apiece and, after the hosts had pulled one back through Ryan Ledson, Carr completed his hat-trick with twelve minutes on the clock before George Farrelly afforded a little home cheer in the closing minutes.

Benfield scored four without reply as they comfortably saw off Guisborough and it could have been more, Dennis Knight missing the chance of a hat-trick when missing a penalty early in the second period to which he made amend for minutes later, again from the spot, for a double.

Dan O’Reilly had opened the scoring inside the first couple of minutes which Knight doubled ten minutes later, his penalty miss in the second period was quickly followed by a goal from Paul Brayson before Knight for his second, and Benfield’s fourth.

Stockton were the only other Northern League side to progress as they defeated Barnoldswick 2-0 thanks to late goals from Fred Woodhouse and Jamie Owens whilst Shildon were dismissed 2-1 away to Lower Breck, Matty Robson with their goal, RCW crashed 4-1 away to Vauxhall Motors after having led through James Ellis but a red card for Oliver Hitchkiss just before the hour mark gave Motors renewed hope to which they took advantage.

Thornaby meanwhile lost out in a ten-goal thriller away to Longridge Town for whom Paul Turner bagged himself a 21-minute hat-trick to help his side to a 6-4 win whilst the Teessiders replies came via braces from Ian Ward and Adam Preston.

Watch highlights of the Vase match HERE

In the Northern League itself Billingham Town are edging into contention for promotion after they saw off visitors Whitley Bay 2-0 thanks to goals at each end of the second period from first Jamie Poole, then Craig Hutchinson whilst there were victories at the opposite end of the table for Northallerton, Penrith and Seaham.

The former ended Newton Aycliffe’s recent run of form by edging the odd-goal-in-five as Callum Smith’s second half brace saw off the same from Dean Thexton, Stephen Cheeseman having grabbed a first half opener for the visitors; in Cumbria goals from Grant Davidson, Gary Thompson (who was later dismissed) and Shaun Gardner saw them claim the spoils against Ashington; and Seaham won 3-2 when at manager-less Whickham as Dan Wilson fired an early brace, Tom Scothern and Carl Finnigan also netting but, as stoppage time in the first loomed, Scott Young snatched what would prove the winner, the second period yielding no further goals.

The two Second Division games played on Friday night both saw five goals scored the away sides edging victories as Sunderland West End, courtesy of a 97th minute goal, defeated hosts Easington 3-2 when a draw seemed likeliest and, at Esh Winning, neighbours Crook Town came from a two-goal deficit to win by the same score, Chris Dunwell with the winner three minutes from time.

On the Saturday both Redcar and Ryton slipped up when at home as Heaton Stannington won 3-2 on Teesside courtesy of Regan Patterson’s late winner, and Carlisle City won 2-1 at Ryton, Robert McCartney with the winner there just before the hour mark.

The remaining game saw Tow Law defeat visitors Billingham Synthonia 2-0 to move into the top eight, Dale Milburn and Lewis Teasdale both netting late on for the win.



Bishop Auckland 0 West Auckland 1 (AET); Hebburn Town 3 Sunderland RCA 0; Irlam 2 Consett 5; Longridge Town 6 Thornaby 4; Lower Breck 2 Shildon 1; Newcastle Benfield 4 Guisborough Town 0; Stockton Town 2 Barnoldswick 0; Vauxhall Motors 4 Sunderland RCW 1


Billingham Town 2 Whitley Bay 0; Newton Aycliffe 2 Northallerton 3; Penrith 3 Ashington 0; Whickham 2 Seaham Red Star 3


(Friday) Easington 2 Sunderland West End 3; Esh Winning 2 Crook Town 3

(Saturday) Redcar Athletic 2 Heaton Stannington 3; Ryton & Crawcrook 1 Carlisle City 2; Tow Law 2 Billingham Synthonia 0

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.